Monday, April 4, 2011

Old, old man (practically dead)

So Saturday morning I woke up at 8, which for me on a Saturday is the equivalent of 2am, to jump in the shower and get ready.

Jim was coming up from San Diego and was passing pretty close by me on the 15, so since my car is still in the shop I had him give me a ride.

For starters we went to pick up Javi, who is Yolanda's oldest girl's boyfriend. I asked if he'd help us move and he gamely obliged.

I've been to Javi's house at least sixty times in the past year or so, to pick up or drop off Lidia. Maybe even seventy times. For some reason, he has one of those houses that I just can't find. No matter how many times I go there, no matter how many times I try to memorize the names of the streets, I just can't ever remember where the guy lives. Lidia and Yolanda make fun of me to no end for my lack of ability to find the place. When it's suggested I go there to pick her up, they both look at me and smile a suppressed laughter... and one of them will say, well, you know how to get there right? And I always say yes, yes I know how to get there. And here's the funny part, sometimes I can do it. Sometimes I get behind the wheel, and just drive straight there, like I'm a perfectly normal person. Other times, not so easy. It's too many streets that all look the same, too many names of streets that just don't stick in my mind. Pepper, grand, sierra, etc.

So after several wrong turns and a couple of backtracks, Jim and I picked up Javi and we drove out to Joe's for the move. The move itself was pretty uneventful, just a typical Class family move. I wondered what in the world Javi might have thought of all of us... with our weird humor and millions of inside jokes. When you get Jimmy and my dad and me in the same room for too long, our sense of humor takes a turn for the odd. At one point we were tired and feeling a little loopy, and we drove past a house with a bunch of bricks in the front yard, stacked into little columns and pillars... Jimmy and my dad and I started screaming out the window, "Hey, look at you with all your bricks! Bricky bricky bricky!", and "Hey, those are CRAPPY bricks, buy some REAL bricks!" etc. Of course we all thought it was hilarious and were cracking up, but I don't think anyone else in the world would have found it so amusing.

So I got home that night and showered, and Yolanda and I went out to dinner. Then we came home and I rented the Tourist. We got into a twenty minute "discussion" about Angelina Jolie... sufficed to say I could take or leave her, but Yolanda HATES her, to the point where she doesn't feel we should even be renting her movies or having her on our TV screen, taking it as far as suggesting that she wasn't even sure she saw me the same way if I'm a person who doesn't realize what a horrible, horrible evil person Angelina is. I let it go when I realized she wasn't kidding at all.

Then I realized my back was in trouble. It had been ok all day and up till dinner, but when I got home and we turned on the movie I cracked open a beer and started to relax, only to realize it felt as if someone had taken a sledgehammer and slammed it into the middle of my back. Exhausted and in severe pain, both physical from my back and traumatized from the Angelina discussion, I collapsed into a deep coma-sleep. I woke up Sunday morning to realize the sledgehammer feeling had not only gone away, it had amplified mightily overnight. So I popped Advils all day yesterday and at times it's almost a livable ache, at other times it's horrifically painful.

I tried to remember if there was some particular lift or time I bended my knees wrong, but last night I think I discovered the reason for the pain. I noticed that when I press my belly firmly with my hands, so as to push the fat into the proportions of a normal human, the pain goes away almost entirely. In other words, it wasn't lifting anything heavy that caused the injury, it was the simple weight of my protruding stomach. And really, I don't know why I called it the "simple weight" of my gut, seeing as my stomach fat must weigh close to forty pounds.

As of monday morning, the pain has subsided only somewhat, I don't expect to be pain free till at least mid-week.

2 comments:

  1. Just so you know most of the time dad's back acts up he ends up blaming it on his gut....in fact it is usually what drives him to take some weight off when his back has been hurting too much. Sooo, you never said...what did Javi think of all of us? He was a good worker,and seemed much older than he is. OH, and I am totally with Yolanda on the Angelina feel. She is NOT my fav. person for any reason. She truly bugs me. The only one of her movies I have ever like was the one where her son is missing....the changling I think it is called. Hopefully your back heals soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't particularly care for her acting, I think she's ok at best. I just don't understand the flat-out hatred of her...

    I think it's a girl/guy thing. Most guys I know like her or don't care about her, where most girls seem to hate her. Though you do find certain types of girls who like her.

    My thing is, ok, she "stole" Brad Pitt from Jennifer Aniston. So what? First of all, no one REALLY knows what the story was there except those three people. For all we know Jennifer was the bitch and Brad was a nice guy who had just had enough of her. Or maybe the whole thing was a big publicity stunt... either way, I just don't get how someone's personal life becomes so much a part of the story. She's an actress, she's in a movie, the movie is either good or bad, but either way, who really cares what she's like as a person? I don't get it but like I say I think it's a guy/girl thing.

    ReplyDelete